Dickinson County Weed Commissioner

Building a healthy community and ecosystem


Group 1 (June 21, 2021)

Leafy spurge, Russian knapweed, buckthorn, multiflora rose, quackgrass, musk thistle

Group 2 (July 19, 2021)

Canada thistle, Field bindweed, Bull thistle, Purple loosestrife, Palmer amaranth, Plumeless thistle, Perennial sow thistle

Noxious weed policy

To All Property Owners:

Be it resolved by the Dickinson County Board of Supervisors, that pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 317 of the Code of Iowa and Chapter 58 of the Iowa Administrative Code, it is hereby ordered:

That each owner and each person in the possession or control of any lands in Dickinson County shall cut, burn, or otherwise control all noxious weeds thereon as defined in this chapter, at such times in each year and in such manner as shall prevent said weeds from blooming or coming to maturity, and shall keep said lands free from such growth.

That it is recommended that noxious weeds be cut or otherwise controlled on or before the following dates and as often thereafter as is necessary to prevent seed production throughout the growing season. However, these are only guidelines. Weather conditions may cause weeds to mature several weeks ahead of normal and consequently require control measures prior to the listed dates.

Group 1: June 21, 2021- Leafy Spurge, Russian knapweed, Buckthorn, Multiflora rose, Quackgrass, Musk thistle

Group 2: July 19, 2021- Canada thistle, Field bindweed, Bull thistle, Purple loosestrife, Palmer amaranth, Plumeless thistle

That if the owners or persons in possession or control of any land in Dickinson County fail to comply with the foregoing orders, the Weed Commissioner shall cause this to be done and the expense of said work including the costs of serving notice and other costs, if any, to be assessed against the real estate.

Complaints will be handled as follows: The complaint is to be called in or emailed to the weed commissioner with the contact information below. State the reason for the complaint, the location of the property, the noxious weeds found therein, the owners of the land and the tenants or persons in control of the land.

Adopted and passed by the Dickinson County Board of Supervisors this 23rd day of March, 2021.

Contact the weed commissioner

Please enter your name.
Please enter a message.

You may also call 712-336-6269.