Volunteer Appreciation Day is held 10 a.m. the first Monday of each month.
What better way to start the Christmas season than to give out fun prizes with a holiday-themed game of bingo? That’s how we started Volunteer Appreciation Day on Monday, Dec. 4.
We also talked about a variety of items of note coming up:
- Holiday closings: The Dickinson County Nature Center will be closed Dec. 22-25 for Christmas and Jan. 1 for New Year’s Day.
- Tubing hill: The Horseshoe Bend tubing hill will open for weekends and certain school holidays when there is at least six inches of snow pack. Once it snows, conditions and hours will be updated weekly on our website.
- Audubon Bird Count: If you would like to participate in the Audubon Christmas Bird Count, you can do so one of two ways. To be a part of a field group, meet at the Hy-Vee deli 7 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 16, to be assigned a group. To be a feeder watcher, call in what you see to 712-336-6352 between 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Dec. 16 or download a tally sheet from our website next week and drop it off to the nature center drop box by the morning of Monday, Dec. 18. More information will be posted to our website Monday, Dec. 11.
- December programs: Remember to sign up toddlers for the Discover Dinos Nature Tots program 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 13. The program for ages 2-5 requires pre-registration by calling 712-336-6352. The monthly Hike the Wild program is moved from its usual time of 9:30 a.m. the fourth Tuesday of the month to 3 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 27, to allow for kids to participate during their holiday breaks. This hike will take place in Kenue Park.
- 2018 calendar: The 2018 program calendar is available on our website, and print copies are also available at the Dickinson County Nature Center.
- Christmas shopping: Don’t forget about the Nature Store inside in the Dickinson County Nature Center for your holiday gift giving needs. We have unique items like locally made goat’s milk soaps and lotions, wildlife field guides, break-your-own geodes, dinosaur excavation kits, pollinator cups and more. Plus, if you purchase a Conservation Foundation of Dickinson County membership as a present, you get a free gift!
If you are a snowbird volunteer, please let Kiley know the dates that you will be gone so she can plan volunteer hours accordingly.
The next Volunteer Appreciation Day will be 10 a.m. Monday, Jan. 8, due to the New Year’s holiday on the regular first Monday of the month.
Thank you for a wonderful year at the Dickinson County Nature Center. You all are truly wonderful, and I so enjoy getting to spend time with you each day. Thank you for sharing your time, your stories and your smiles with us. You are so appreciated!